Monday, December 9, 2013

Character Highlight: Artimus Grimsngyr (FAE)

Continuing my series on fantasy characters via Fate Accelerated (FAE), here is my character Artimus 'Arty' Grimsngyr using the system.

Arty is a classic Sword & Sorcery character (ex. Grey Mouser) become an epic fantasy character: and he hates it.

I've long wanted to play him in a campaign: but very few systems I like would allow for such a character as a PC. Fortunately, Fate lets you play your character as you like!

With no further ado:

Artimus ‘Arty’ Grimsngyr

  • Aspects
High Concept: Ne’er-do-well rogue turned unliving revenant
Trouble: I am but a slave to the blade’s hunger...
Other Aspects: I miss the warmth of the sun and the bodies of others; All that glitters most is surely gold; It is in the shadows that I do my best work
  • Approaches
+3 Sneaky
+2 Flashy, Quick
+1 Careful, Clever
+0 Forceful
  • Stunts
- Whenever I Take Out an opponent with my cursed sword, Blood-Drinker, I may choose to apply any excess shifts to negate my own stress or consequences up to the gained value instead of taking a boost.
- As I am a Creature of the Night, I gain +2 to Sneakily Create an Advantage when operating in shadows and darkness can be of use.
- With the Eyes of the Vampyr I gain +2 to Flashily Overcome when attempting to bend another to my will.
  • Refresh: 3
  • Stress: OOO
Consequences
  • Mild (2):
  • Moderate (4):
  • Severe (6):
  • Extras
Well-worn leather armor, Polished daggers, Sakan short-bow & arrows, Traveling kit

  • Background
Artimus has been transformed by the sword taken from the cold hands of a Strzygian blood lord. Although at first the weapon’s properties seemed a boon (his own wounds in battle were instantly healed as soon as he wounded an opponent), he soon learned the weapon to be a curse. He now seeks only to be free of the weapon and the cursed existence it has placed upon him.

As part of the curse of the blade, Artimus must feed upon the lifeblood of a warm blooded creature via Blood Drinker periodically or become progressively weakened by hunger. Artimus can only recover by using the sword on a living warm blooded creature.

He is vulnerable to attacks by blessed or holy weapons or devices and holy magic. Divine healing powers might even damage him, for example. Although he needs to neither eat nor drink, he still needs to sleep and breathe to live and function normally. Artimus is also adverse to bright sunlight, although this natural aversion causes no other negative effects. 

Blood Drinker speaks to Artimus, sometimes while he is waking, or via lurid dreams when he is asleep. These dreams can impart useful information at times; but usually it is simply the sword asking for more warm blood- preferably human blood.

Artimus misses his human existence, which mostly consisted of drinking, whoring, and stealing/adventuring as the means to pay for such activities. This is a constantly nagging pang at his soul and can cause complications if he is offered or denied a chance to enjoy his old life...

****


No comments:

Post a Comment